Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action!

The article I read for this week is titled “Another View on Mentoring” by Anissa Lokey-Vega and Laurie Brantley-Dias. This article was interesting because it was a little different from the rest of the articles I have reviewed. For instance, this article demonstrates how technology can be used for the benefit of the teacher. Here a couple of teachers are mentors to help other teachers with their teaching. In this case, the teachers record a teacher’s lesson with a video camera and use that to help the teacher being mentored. Through the recording they are able to play back the teacher’s teaching and point out her skills. The teacher being mentored can also analyze and critique themselves. They mentioned, “Through this process, Weingart (the teacher being mentored) was able to receive emotional support as well as instructional feedback from me without feeling frustrated and discouraged.”

I think technology can also be for the benefit of the teacher. In this case, I think it will help the teacher improve her teaching and see what things are to be done differently. As teacher’s we should welcome technology that will make us become better teachers.

I can see myself using video cameras a little differently in my class. I think students would have a great time creating projects were they can express themselves and their creativity. This would also help break from the norm of always doing the same kinds of projects. They can work together to have a great time during an educational activity.

2 comments:

  1. What a great article! I feel the same way, anything that improves us as "teachers" I am way for! It is amazing how technology can be so useful if used the correct way. What a good thought you had "I think technology can also be for the benefit of the teacher. In this case, I think it will help the teacher improve her teaching and see what things are to be done differently. As teacher’s we should welcome technology that will make us become better teachers."-Great quote Irene!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i will be afraid of being taped in my teachings, not becouse I'm afraid bout the camera, but becouse of the self critisism. on the other hand I know it is important to make myself beter adn to be able to open my horizon and be the best i can be.

    ReplyDelete